Monday, February 13, 2012

Switched at Birth

Recently I've been spending my free time catching up on the abc family TV show, "Switched at Birth." This show is about two teenage girls who found out they were (can you guess?) switched at birth, and how their lives continue to change as their families try to grow closer to one another. What I find most interesting about this show, however, is that one of the girls is Deaf. Being a speech-language pathology student, I get so excited when a popular TV show centers itself around a topic that is right up my alley! I've taken a couple sign language courses here at Rockhurst as part of my major, (by an awesome professor I might add- if you ever need to fill an elective, I strongly recommend these classes!) and through learning about the Deaf culture and how they communicate, I've really grown to love it. I see a lot of what I learned in class included in this TV show, and I must admit I'm becoming rather addicted to it! It's really cool to see how the main character signs with her friends at a Deaf school, and the way she handles everyday situations that I take for granted. Also, this show actually takes place in Kansas City! They mention places like Loose Park, Swope Park, the Plaza, and Mission Hills. It feels so weird when I recognize a location that they're at! 
Although I'm not all the way caught up yet, I'm getting closer. If you ever get the chance I recommend watching it. It airs on Tuesdays at 7:00.







1 comment:

  1. this is a very good and informative site I love your all content and had great time visiting your site.
    .thanks for this great information and keep posting good and informative content good luck : https://www.fdcmovies.com/

    ReplyDelete