Sunday, January 29, 2012

An Underground Run

Today marked the 30th annual Groundhog Run, and it was my pleasure to experience this event for the very first time. The Groundhog Run is a race- which includes a 5K and a 10K- hosted by Children's TLC (Therapeutic Learning Center). Those who participate assist in fundraising for Children's TLC, a school that provides educational and therapeutic services to children with disabilities. The race takes place in an underground venue, which really makes the "Groundhog" experience come to life. 

Although I wasn't brave enough, (and let's be honest...in shape), to run the race, I did volunteer with a group of classmates from my CSD senior seminar class. Our task was to work at a water station, providing water to thirsty runners. It was actually a much more stressful job than I anticipated! We definitely weren't prepared for the rush of runners during the 5K, so we had to work pretty fast. By the time the 10K began, however, we had mastered the art of filling water cups. Overall, it was a really good experience. We actually met a runner who was an alum of Children's TLC from 1972, which I thought was really cool. Throughout the race, runners who stopped by our table were so appreciative of our help, which made me feel like I was doing something meaningful. If I remain in Kansas City next year, the Groundhog Run is definitely something I would like to help out with again- whether I choose to run in it or, most likely, volunteer again!

No comments:

Post a Comment