Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Back in...Green!

Although Labor Day was only a day's worth break, I really feel as though it gave me that extra little time I needed to transition from summer vacation to fall semester. My Rockhurst on-campus house (often referred to as the "treehouse" by me and my housemates, since it's the color green) is gradually beginning to look lived in- and I must say that I'm proud of the personality it seems to possess. Not only that, but its spacious as well! My 3 housemates and myself each have our own room this year, as well as a good-sized kitchen and living room. Maybe this year I will attempt some extravagant recipes, now that there's plenty of room to move about the kitchen and cook multiple things at the same time!


I feel as though I'm getting in the swing of my classes as well. Often times at the beginning of the semester, it can be hard to determine what classes will be like. How much studying is involved in this class? Is there lots of homework? At this point though, I think I can say that I'm happy with the classes I'm taking this semester. All of them, except choir, are theology classes, which is my second major- and they're all pretty interesting! However, I'm a little bummed that I'm not taking any CSD courses right now. I finished all the required fall courses, so I'll have to wait for spring. 

Until then, however, I will soon begin volunteering twice a week at a place called Children's TLC. It offers therapeutic and educational services to kids with and without disabilities. I went through orientation earlier this week, and when I go tomorrow I'll begin interacting with the kids in the classroom. The classroom I'll be volunteering in is the Deaf and Hard of Hearing room. I'm so excited that I'll be able to put to use the sign language that I learned in my classes! This is something that I may possibly be interested in doing as a speech-language pathologist once I graduate, and I'm so excited to gain more experience! In addition to Children's TLC, I will begin volunteering at a school for kids with special needs, called Marian Hope Center. This Friday will be my first day, and I can't wait!!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment