Saturday, October 15, 2011

Exam Schmam

When I first realized that all my midterms fell on the same day, I felt pretty stressed. None of my classes this semester are incredibly difficult, but 3 tests and 1 paper due at once... yikes! I was very fortunate, however, in that after explaining my predicament to one of my professors, he allowed me to take an exam a day early, which was a tremendous help. I was also able to gather enough motivation to complete the paper a week early, thereby spreading out the midterms I originally feared to be jam-packed. In the end, everything worked out just fine and I was able to manage the midterm week.

My brother Austin and Me
The best part about midterms is the feeling of freedom you receive once all exams are finished. After completing my last test of the day, I was able to walk back home through the crunchy leaves, and really breathe in the fresh air. Fall break has arrived! It's such a great time to get some extra relaxation in. Because I babysit during the week, I wasn't able to leave for home right away. One of my housemates hung around the house with me, and one evening we gathered a group of other students who decided to stay on campus together for a movie party at our house. It was a great time! We all brought together a schmorgasbord of goodies- holloween cookies, popcorn, banana bread, and orange kool-aid.

When Saturday arrived, I took off early in the morning to pick up my younger brother who flew in to the Kansas City airport. From there we drove back home- belting out some tunes and exchanging stories from our school year thus far. This is my brother's freshman year of college, and I'm thankful for the car ride that allowed me to learn more about his experience at a new school (Holy Cross College in Indiana). I could see my freshman self in so many of the things he talked about. His experience from the first couple months at college brought back many memories of my own freshman year, and in some ways I feel so much wiser than when I first began! It's really made me realize how fast time flies.

I may only be visiting home for a short weekend, but it's always nice to catch up with the family. Already I've been able to play a game of scrabble with my mom (a very successful game I might add...) and hang out with a couple cousins who I haven't seen for a while. This time at home has given me the rejuvenation I need to begin the second half of fall semester.



No comments:

Post a Comment