Sunday, October 23, 2011

Ice-Cream of the Future

This past Saturday, I experienced- for the very first time- what it was like to work at an amusement park. In order to fundraise for our sorority, my Theta Phi Alpha sisters and I headed to World's of Fun, where we were given various jobs around the park. This weekend was "Halloween Haunt" weekend, and so many haunted houses were set up. People dressed in spooky costumes would roam about the park, sometimes sneaking up on unknowing guests and giving them a fright. 

My placement for the day was in food. At first I was a little worried because I didn't know what my job would entail. However, I was quite delighted when asked to serve in the Dippin' Dots booth. I love Dippin' Dots, and it sounded like a great place to be! After given a one-minute run-through on how things worked, I quickly realized how fast-paced this job was. Apparently I'm not the only one who loves Dippin' Dots! The line was pretty long most of the time I was there, and many people had not mastered the virtue of patience. It took some time for me to get used to the cash register while juggling 3 different orders with varying sizes and flavors. But 8 busy hours later, I felt I was a pretty efficient server. I even managed to organize the freezer that contained extra bags of Dots! 

Working in this booth gave me a greater appreciation for those who work in amusement parks- especially in the food booths. While I still love Dippin' Dots, I don't think serving this ice-cream will be in my future!


No comments:

Post a Comment