Friday, May 4, 2012

5 Things I Will Miss About Rockhurst

What I Will Miss About Rockhurst
3.) On-Campus Housing
For all four years at Rockhurst, I have chosen to live on campus. Beginning with freshman year, I quickly learned that living on campus is a fantastic way to get to know people and form a variety of friend groups. The convenience of just living steps away from the cafeteria and academic buildings is hard to beat, especially when meetings run late or when you are working on a group project. This is my second year of living in an on-campus house, which is just half a block away from campus, and this year has been no different than others regarding the benefits of on-campus living.
This can be illustrated through an event that occurred over this past weekend. Two of my roommates and I had been planning a surprise bridal shower for our fourth roommate, who had recently gotten engaged. Since none of us will likely be able to attend the real shower, we thought it would be fun to throw one for her Rockhurst friends. Unfortunately, she is a very difficult person to surprise, because she kept making plans that would force us to rearrange the time. Thankfully, most of the people who attended live on the same block of houses owned by Rockhurst, and it wasn't a huge problem. We were able to pass along the changed time with ease, and people could run back home for a little bit. With this time of year being "move-out season," one of our friends had her mother in town to help begin the cleaning process. Because she lived to close, she was able to bounce back and forth between houses throughout the evening. As my roommates and I discovered at various points of the evening, we had forgotten about a few needed items. However, living next to so many other friends proved to be a life saver, for if we didn't have it, somebody else did.
This example gives an illustration of what my experience of living on campus has been like. I have immensely enjoyed being neighbors with my close friends, and being able to throw block parties and traveling dinner parties. This type of community living experience will be one of the many things I will miss about Rockhurst.

No comments:

Post a Comment